Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Complete

When SoFoBoMo (Solo Photo Book Month) started, the idea intrigued me as a project. However, I really did not know exactly what I wanted to photograph. I just thought it would be a good idea and would stretch my experience and knowledge.

I assumed that I would do a book related to landscape and the outside. It was possible that it would be birds. However, my original idea did not pan out for several reasons.

My husband suggested that I photograph the Courthouses around our area. We have some lovely small town squares with the courthouses centered on them. There is a real feel for small town life on these squares. I thought I would try this.

It was a lot of fun going around and seeing the different areas. I am not from southwest Georgia, as my husband is, so this was a new experience for me to visit each city.

I have discovered that I am not a great fan of photographing architecture, regardless of how lovely it is.

More importantly though, I have found that I enjoyed the challenges associated with photographing buildings. I have learned much more than photography however. I do not do much post-processing with my images. These courthouse images with their resultant issues of wide angle leaning and curvatures challenged me to learn much more about post-processing.

Overall, it was a lot of fun. I look forward to doing it again, whether here or on my own restrictions.

I also want to say thanks to the other photographers that participated. Your books provided me with a lot of inspiration as I continue to enjoy photography.

1 comment:

  1. It took a little rooting around to find your 'book' since you didn't link to it, but it was worth the effort to find it.

    I'm not from around here, but my husband was born in the area and we returned after he retired. We have a family connection with Miller, Decatur and Seminole County courthouses, including buying our marriage license in one of them, ever so long ago. I remember when the old Miller County Courthouse burned. The 'new' one was never attractive and I understand that now it needs replacing. I know the female Probate Judges in Miller and Grady Counties. My brother represented the Grady Co. Probate Judge when the election was contested and she prevailed.

    I look forward to your next project.

    ReplyDelete